Squirrel fur is a popular material for fly tying, it is a great source of fur for dubbing, versatile with a natural look that fish find irresistible. While you can purchase squirrel dubbing from fly tying shops, you can also make your own at home. This can be a fun and rewarding experience, and it allows you to create custom dubbing blends that match your specific needs.
TroutLine offers a beautiful selection of tanned squirrel skins at a fantastic price of 9.45eur/each.
Thus, each fly tier can choose the desired color, cut the hair according to the body parts and make their own fur mix. In this way, everyone has a strict control of the texture and colors.
Equipment You’ll Need:
- Squirrel skins: You can purchase squirrel skins from a fly tying shop or online from TroutLine shop a.
- Electric clipper: You can use a small electric trimmer or a household hair clipper if you have but is optional.
- Scissors: You can use sharp scissors to cut the dubbing into the desired length – the perfect tool in my opinion.
- Mixer: You can use a coffee grinder specially bought for this purpose or the one in the kitchen, but wash it well after use and don’t let your wife find out 🙂
- Zip bags – for sealing and storing cut hair.
- Labels – to note exactly what is in the envelopes
Below some dyed Squirrel tanned skins perfect for making dubbing:
Making your own squirrel dubbing is a great way to save money and have more control over the materials you use for your fly tying. However, if you prefer the convenience of purchasing pre-made dubbing, there are a variety of options available. Whether you make your own dubbing or purchase it from a shop, squirrel dubbing is a valuable tool for any fly tier.
finally, in this way everyone gets to know the properties of the materials better and master them better. The flies that will be made with these materials will be better, more beautiful and more efficient 🙂