I really like these flies because you can play them among stones and structures in pools and river currents. I consider them much more effective because of the hackle. It pulsates very attractively when you play it like the soft lures used in lure fishing. I noticed that the fish react very well to the movement of the hackle, much better than compared to a simple nymph.
So here is a model that I used to make with silver wire ribbing, now I have replaced it with UV material. It works really good.
- Jig hook Demmon XTreme in size #16
- Black thread 8/0 uni ( I use to wax it to increase the grip of the ribbing material)
- Red hot spot made of flat tinsel
- Ribbing made of Micro ribbing UV material in blue color
- Hackle made of Teal Duck in natural / or partridge
- Tungsten is pink in 3,5mm
It is a fly that I use a lot for sight fishing or with Leisenring technique.
To avoid unfolding the hackle during tying or even fishing (it usually happens after you have caught a fish or two), when building the fly, put a bit of dubbing in the chest area. You will ensure a good grip and a good stability of the hackle.