August is a difficult month from the fishing point of view. The rivers are small with warmer water . More than that, the water is ginger clear and the fish are extremely spooky. Fishing all day is impossible, outside is too hot even in high mountains.
For those who go fishing these days I recommend to fish a couple of hours early in morning and late in afternoon. Because the light is not the best dry flies are difficult to be located in strong currents ( where the fish are ). Wet fly fishing is a great option and is a pity that these last years this style is not so popular. It is an effective style and produce nice catch . It is a great alternative at nymphing and dry fly fishing!
Personally I love to fish with wet flies because:
- I can cast as far as possible without fear to have an ugly presentation
- much easy to control a line using this style, by far more easy compared with dry fly technique
- it is much easy to hook a fish (the line is all the time in tension) compared with dry fly fishing
- wet flies are effective when the fish eat in the water film or very close under it
- the fish is not so sensitive at fly size, big fly can be used without any problem
Here are my top 6 flies that I use in this period of time.
All these flies work for trout and grayling in the same time. Maybe the size will select the species. Small hooks are for grayling, big hooks will work better for trout.